Ken A. Hoca
SQL Server Consultant, Subject Matter Expert, SME
B.Sc. EEE, Computer Control Systems, AI
SQL Server Lead | CEO of Koza IT Services
Database systems architect, SQL Server Expert in high performance Database design, migrations, programming, administration, infrastructure, cloud.
- Database Modernization and Migrations between the database technologies: from DB2, Oracle, Sybase and MS Access to SQL Server & Azure
- Database health assessments, problem and outage analysis and resolution
- Database and application Performance engineering, optimizations, indexing solutions
- License Portfolio Optimizations, Licensing Advisor
- Data security reviews and implementations, data at rest and in transit security implementations
- Remote and On-site Database administration, 24/7 monitoring and support
- High performance and high volume transactional database development – SQL coding, ETL solutions development and maintenance, Business intelligence solutions, data warehouse and data marts development, OLTP/OLAP sachems, data loaders development.
- Server Management, Stand-alone, Virtualization, Azure, Private-Cloud, Hybrid-Cloud and Cloud infrastructure design, related implementations and management based on PaaS, IaaS and SaaS service models, database server and web server hosting and management, virtualization, instancing and consolidations
- High availability (with Always On) and high performance SQL Server Infrastructure design
- Disaster recovery planning, data replications, co-location planning, transactional data communication between database servers located at multiple geographical locations
- Web systems architecture design and implementations with .NET, and supplying solutions based on software-as-a-service architecture
- Managing, leading and mentoring developers and database administrators (DBAs), directing the work of other technology consultants and engineers whenever necessary. Supplying know-how and training to the client’s in-house development teams and providing them with architecture level support. Assisting them in design/development techniques, test plans/cases and production problems.
I am a vendor neutral consultant: Microsoft – Oracle – IBM. My SQL Server and Middleware licensing reviews and recommendations saved over $12 million USD to clients. My performance reviews, fixes and recommendations, brought the systems to their “best ever performance” states.
I can be reached at toll free 1 866.279.5692 ext 1. Alternatively, please use the Contact Us page to send a message, and I will call you back.
Sr. Infrastructure Project Manager, CNA Insurance Chicago
“Ken is one of the most, if not THE most talented database engineers I have ever encountered. He possesses a strong work ethic, is able to easily break down complex problems into manageable parts rapidly, demonstrates amazing attention to detail, and is patient with lesser skilled / more junior team members. Perhaps most importantly, he is willing to mentor and share his vast knowledge of SQL databases and create teachable moments in a very diplomatic way, which makes the entire project team stronger. Any company that has engaged Ken to provide db services will easily receive more than double a return on the investment.”
Chief Information Officer, Prime Choice Auto Parts Ottawa
“Ken Hoca is fantastic at database systems, especially SQL Server. I am more than pleased to share that with anyone who would need his services and professional expertise.
Any organization can have success with Ken taking care of their valuable data.”
Fabio de Sant’Anna
Principal at Capgemini USA Greater New York & New Jersey
“Highly recommended SQL Server Expert. Very competent and easy to work with, very committed and excellent team player. Ken worked for me on a complex stability remediation of the 2 most important policy admin systems of the most critical LOB of a P&C Insurance company. He was there from the initial assessment to figure out problems and recommendations to the end of the remediation and stabilization. Ken was the most critical resource in this project which upgraded SQL2005 to SQL2014, remediated a number of stored procedures, merged database instances, optimized indexes and database settings, to name a few of the actions. These old systems started in a state of outages and too many deadlocks and finished in a state of no outages, much reduced deadlocks and improved response time.”
Manager of Information Technology, The Royal Canadian Legion Dominion Command
“To say that Ken is an expert with SQL Server would be an understatement. He is the most qualified person I have ever worked with and would highly recommend him for any database work. His technical skills are second to none. He listens to his clients’ needs and presents solutions that are scaled for their industry and budget. He makes the complex issues seem easier and more manageable.”
Database Systems Architect | SQL Server Consultant, SME
Greater New York City Area
Application Modernization – Replatforming the database framework from DB2 to SQL Server. Data modeling, data transformations, re-design of tables and databases in SQL Server. SQL optimizations. SQL Infrastructure server specifications, setup, interviews, helping developers with SQL concepts. SQL Server 2016, DB2, Hadoop, Informatica
SQL Server Consultant, SME
Greater New York City Area
Reporting to CIO, 1-Month assignment to review the SQL Server License Portfolio: Identifying budget cost savings related to SQL Server licensing and hardware. Review of VMware clusters, sql servers, related services, setup and existing license portfolio and costs. Interviewing the personnel. Preparing the report with findings, recommendations and solution options. The study was completed remotely, and immediate and future cost savings were identified, and architectural changes to minimize the cost and maximize the SQL Server performance were recommended.
Implementation of some of the recommended items resulted in savings of half million dollars for SQL server licensing, in the short term alone.
SQL Server Architect
CNA Insurance CapGemini America
Chicago, IL and Cranbury, NJ
SQL Server database assessment and review, outage root-cause analysis, sql code review, sql performance tuning, optimizations, troubleshooting and mentoring;
Documenting all findings, proof of concepts, preparing the solution and help preparing the budget estimates for approval;
Solution technical review and QA, code reviews, instructing and mentoring the developers.
SQL Server 2014 always on upgrade from SQL 2005 clustering.
Middleware Database Systems Expert
Madison, Wisconsin Area
1-Month Assignment for IT Database and Middleware Portfolio review: Identifying budget cost savings. Hardware and server reviews, personal interviews and reports preparation.
Systems reviewed: SQL Server, Oracle, DB2, SharePoint.
Consultant – Database Management and Support
The Conference Board of Canada
Ottawa, Canada Area
SQL Server environment management, upgrades, implementations, 24 / 7 support and administration over a long period.